Post Page Advertisement [Top]

TL;DR As a non-fan of pearls and milk tea, I loved this. This was so special and so delicious. 10/10 will buy again. 



I've seen the drinks from R&B Tea make its rounds on social media but have never paid particular attention to them. Til I personally walked past their kiosk at Toa Payoh one day. And wow. The fragrance of brown sugar wafting from their shop made me backtrack and buy a cup to try.

Their signature brown sugar drinks comes in two iterations. Brown Sugar Boba Milk and Brown Sugar Boba Milk Tea. Apparently, Brown Sugar Boba Milk is a very popular drink in Taiwan and it's actually surprising that we're only seeing it in Singapore recently. In Taiwan it's called 青蛙撞奶, literally "tadpole hit milk", the tadpoles referring to the black tapioca pearls. The cousin of the Brown Sugar Boba Milk, the Brown Sugar Boba Milk Tea is called 黑眼豆豆, literally black eyed peas. 

I got the milk tea version as I thought the flavours might be slightly more complex. ($3.80, Medium). 

Brown Sugar Boba Milk Tea 黑眼豆豆

This was soooooo good! I was honestly not expecting it to be so good. The flavour and fragrance of the brown sugar is distinct, and it levels up regular milk tea with its caramelised flavour. Perhaps their supposedly homemade brown sugar syrup must receive all the credit here. The flavours were deep, complex, yet not too sweet, not too overpowering. I could finish the whole drink without thinking "urgh too much sugar". I am fully aware that sugar has been intentionally added, and I don't mind it at all. In fact, it's critical to the flavour of this drink. The milk tea had that subtle fragrance of tea that was so well matched with the brown sugar flavour.

As a general non-fan of pearls, I must also note that the pearls in this drink were fantastic. I generally hate the chewiness of pearls that take forever to get through. But the pearls here were so soft, and only very slightly chewy. You still get the bite of pearls for texture, but you don't get tired or annoyed by it.

Now that I know it's so good, I wonder how the milk version tastes. (And which is better!) It's also definitely more instagrammable, with the strong contrast of the white milk, brown sugar, and black pearls. 

I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed this drink. I've outgrown standard Gongcha and Koi drinks with all the artificial sweetness, but the brown sugar milk tea here had such a deep, complex flavour, that almost made me buy a second cup. Ah, but we have to save all that sugar for the next visit.

Update: And indeed the next trip occurred in less than a week. I tried out the milk version at the Marina Square outlet.

Brown Sugar Boba Milk 青蛙撞奶

The milk version is as expected more instagrammable and visually appealing with the contrast of white and brown, if that is important in your drinks. The milk version was equally enjoyable as the milk tea version, and as a hater of milk in its purest form, this brown sugar sweetened version is one I would gladly drink. All the characteristics that made me fall in love with the milk tea version are present in the milk version as well. The taste of the brown sugar is distinct and adds complexity, and the pearls are so incredibly soft, firm without being too chewy.

I still preferred the milk tea version, because the flavours are rounder, and perhaps maybe I still really don't like milk. At this point, it's personal preference and I don't think one is better than the other. My boyfriend preferred the milk for the freshness of the milk, but my mother preferred the milk tea version. To each his own.

Update: I'M ADDICTED. I love this so much I've had this thrice in two weeks. 

Value


Currently, the milk version is $3.80 (M), and the milk tea version is $3.60 (M) / $4.30 (L).

It is very fairly priced, this is the price point at which most bubble tea/fruit tea/cheese tea/some tea shops price their drinks. And it is very worth it for how unique the flavour is and how well-done the balance of taste and texture was. 

But it is a treat. I'm not in the habit of spending so much for drinks every meal. And if anything, the price will curb my consumption of this drink from being too frequent.

Update: I also tried their new Brown Sugar Boba Milk with Cheese Brûlée 老虎出巡. The summary is I didn't like it. Stick to the original.

---

[Click for more documentation about the brown sugar boba species in Singapore]

Location

Update: R&B Tea has opened more outlets!!! The OG outlet is at Toa Payoh and that's where I still recommend. The other outlets have varying standards but do not, do not, go to the MBS outlet if you treasure your wallet.

Toa Payoh 

470 Toa Payoh Lorong 6
Level 1 (Kiosk) 
Singapore 310470 

Nearest MRT: Toa Payoh 




Other outlets: 

Marina Square #04-101 (in food court)
Nearest MRT: Esplanade/Promenade/City Hall

Oasis Terraces #B1-03
Nearest MRT: Punggol

Singapore Poly FC4
Nearest MRT: Dover
Only open weekdays

The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands #B2-50 (in food court)
Nearest MRT: Bayfront 


1 comment:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib