Post Page Advertisement [Top]

DessertIce creamOne-time SpecialsSingapore

Butterknife Folk: Chicken Rice Gelato

TL;DR Strange, but surprisingly unoffensive. Tastes exactly like chicken rice. 

I'm not a very adventurous eater, I must admit. I have favourites and I always go for the same few favourites. My friends can guess what my food preferences are just based on what I post. But once in a while, something so strange and so unheard of comes along, and I am completely willing to abandon all my food biases and prejudices to try it. Just to say I've tried it. 

This time, it's chicken rice gelato

Yes. 

I know. 

Calm down. 

Chicken rice gelato

No kidding. 

Here's a reminder of how chicken rice looks like (you know, just in case): 


And these folks at Butterknife want to put it into ice cream.

If they can do it, i'm eating it.


Are you ready?


It doesn't look super appetising out of the tub.

But we're here, we're committed, we're going for it.


I'm not sure what I expected. But I definitely did not expect it to taste like actual chicken rice. But it did. It tasted exactly like chicken rice. Which is a very strange experience. Because chicken rice is not cold. But it undeniably tasted like chicken rice.

I'm not sure anymore what my reality is.


You can taste everything that you would expect to taste in regular chicken rice. The garlic chilli, check. The dark soy sauce, check. The ginger spice, check. Even the most essential part of chicken rice, the rice, the rice that carries all the fragrance and flavour of the dish. There are actual rice grains in the gelato. In the cold ice cream, the rice grains were harder, and very strangely resembled mini chicken-rice-flavoured attapchees.

The one thing that isn't in this tub of chicken rice gelato, the chicken. But you know we can overlook that since the chicken is really just the co-star for the rice. They even put the rice in there, I'm suitably impressed.

I would try to describe how the ice cream tasted in more detail. But it tastes exactly like what you would expect chicken rice to taste like. And at this point, I might as well be describing what chicken rice tastes like. (If you don't know how that tastes like, thank you for reading this through anyway, and I hope you find out one day.)

It was a really strange experience. Because it is chicken rice in ice cream with rice and no chicken. But it could have been much worse. And it wasn't. That makes for a very commendable attempt.

The funny thing is I actually bought another tub of ice cream anyway to try and wash away the chicken rice flavour and kind of revive myself from such a strange experience.


This other ice cream, named "Dirt", which has brownie crumble, cookie crumbs, and gummy worms in dark chocolate ice cream, doesn't really need a long essay to describe it. (Though I would like to note that cold gummy worms are quite hard and very hard to chew.)

The thing is, after eating an entire dark of very strong chocolate ice cream, the aftertaste that remained in my mouth was of the chicken rice ice cream. You know when you eat chicken rice and you have that garlicky breath for the rest of the day. I was dealing with that, exactly that.

It's one thing to create an ice cream based on one of the most classic Singaporean dishes since ever. It's another thing to also recreate the post-eating experience of chicken rice.

A truly amazing creation by Butterknife Folk.

Where did I get this?


Butterknife Folk was selling this for $5 a tub as a National Day 2018 special at a pop-up event at National Design Centre.

They do however have a physical store as well, where their flavours change up quite regularly. (Check out their instagram for their daily flavours in store!)

Butterknife Folk
238 River Valley Road
Singapore 238296

Nearest MRT: Fort Canning, Clarke Quay






No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib