Post Page Advertisement [Top]

TL;DR Intense brown sugar flavour but pearls are too chewy and I don't have the jaw stamina for these pearls 

My love affair with Brown Sugar Boba drinks started when I tried R&B 巡茶's take on it out of curiosity. Since then, I've slowly noticed more and more bubble tea shops offering Brown Sugar Boba drinks as well, and now I'm on a quest to find out which shop has the best Brown Sugar Boba. (And I'm calling it Brown Sugar Boba over Brown Sugar Pearls because it sounds cuter, even if it's the American take on the Taiwanese name.)

I've been seeing posts on Muyoo's 'dirty' drinks series all over my instagram, but most of them powered by PR fuel (i.e. food tastings/sponsored). I made a mental note to try it one day, and when I happened to see it at Raffles City Shopping Centre's basement food complex, it probably was meant to be.


So a cup of this costs $3.90, one size, and only comes with milk (no milk tea which I love).

This is honestly not too bad a cup of brown sugar boba. The brown sugar flavour is very distinctive. A bit too distinctive in fact, that you would not be blamed if you thought you were drinking brown sugar syrup flavoured with milk, instead of milk flavoured with brown sugar. The brown sugar flavour overwhelms the fresh milk flavour completely, and if you are here because you love milk, you won't love this. If you have a sweet tooth though, and a very very sweet tooth at that, this might just hit your sweet spot. It's by far the sweetest brown sugar boba that I've tried, and for the sake of government's anti-diabetes campaign, I don't see myself buying this again soon.

But let's talk about the pearls. The pearls are the reason why I buy this drink instead of making this drink at home. I've tried making brown sugar pearls at home, and trust me, it is good money spent buying your pearls outside instead of trying to make them.

These pearls... they taste like industrial pearls that were soaked in brown sugar syrup. What I mean by that, is that the pearls themselves don't have any brown sugar flavour. They taste like normal tapioca pearls with no flavour.

The pearls were also unbearably chewy. Inhumanely chewy. Okay, fine, they are edible, if you have the jaw stamina to chew that long. But I don't like food that takes too much energy to consume.

I'm quite ambivalent about this. Was it an off-day for the staff? Did they run out of pearls and have to use undercooked pearls? Who knows. But I doubt I'll be buying another cup of this soon anyway.

[Click for more documentation about the brown sugar boba species in Singapore]

Location
MuYoo currently has two outlets:

Raffles City Shopping Centre #B1-67 
Nearest MRT: City Hal

Bedok Mall #01-94 
Nearest MRT: Bedok

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib