Post Page Advertisement [Top]

TL;DR Effort points, but wouldn't buy this again. 

The weirdest flavour that Matchaya has come out with thus far: Mentaiko. I'm a huuuuge fan of mentaiko based dishes. I even have my own bottle of mentaiko mayo at home for my midnight mentaiko fix. But on ice cream? I'm skeptical. It's still such a strange idea that I had to get myself down to Icon Village immediately to try this new creation by Matchaya.

This flavour is so out of the left field that Matchaya won't even release what flavour it is on the social media. You have to taste it to find out.


On the first mouthful, all that I got was vanilla. I was confused. Er, where's the "mystery" flavour? Only towards the end do you get a slight hint of savouriness, and when everything has gone down your throat, you also get that slight spiciness lingering on your tongue.

The more you eat it, the more the mentaiko flavour becomes more prominent. What is strange about this is the combination of savouriness and sweetness, and also the very very slightly spiciness. It's not bad, but it perhaps takes a while to take a liking to it.

Towards the end though, the mentaiko flavour pretty much disappeared again. Back to eating vanilla ice cream. The mentaiko flavour is one you have to consciously search for while eating. If you eat it mindlessly while walking down the street or just talking to your friends, you will quickly forget you're eating mentaiko ice cream and not vanilla ice cream.

The sweetness of the cone also overpowered the savouriness of the mentaiko, and it's really just a cone of vanilla soft serve.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but it was also quite underwhelming. The mentaiko taste is really subtle. Perhaps it's pandering to the tastebuds of those not used to such a strange flavour, but the end result seems to be neither here nor there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib